It is really important to make sure that you are being properly represented in court if you have been charged with a DUI, or driving under the influence. While it is true that you have every right to defend yourself in court, there are more reasons why you shouldn't do that than reasons to do it. To have a clearer understanding of why you will want to contact a DUI attorney, you should continue reading.

You Want To Make Sure That The Evidence Is Truly There

If you do not believe that you were intoxicated to the point that you were past the legal limit, you will want to dispute it in court. The reports might have been wrong due to faulty equipment being used by the arresting officer. It can be hard for you to put forth that defense on your own, which is why you need an attorney to do this work for you. They will know what to look for and what would show that you are actually innocent.

You Won't Say The Wrong Things

Too many people make the mistake of saying things that they should not say in court, which results in them being found guilty. You might speak out of turn or miss your chance to object to something that the prosecution is saying about you. This is why you will want to have a DUI attorney representing you at all times in the courtroom. They have a lot of experience with such cases and know what can and cannot be said in court, as well as when things can be said in order to not be told by the judge that they are out of line.

You will want to make sure that you are finding a day and time to meet with a DUI attorney. When your attorney is retained early enough in the case, he or she will have enough time to really pull together your defense. Even if you plan on entering a guilty plea, you will still want to give your attorney plenty of time to create their plan for representing you in this matter. They might be able to get you less time in jail if the judge decides that jail is in your future, or they might be able to get you approved for work release or probation. You can discuss the possible options with your attorney for more information.